At the WEPA meeting on the 16 July 2019, following a viewing of the powerful climate action documentary Accelerate, members voted unanimously to pass the following motion:
In light of Willoughby City Council’s (WCC) refusal to adopt the recent motion put forward by Councillor Lynne Saville to declare a Climate Emergency and take appropriate action, its current review of its tree policy, its refusal to oppose the Beaches Link Tunnel, and other concerning actions, that WEPA establish a Climate Emergency committee to:
- assess what actions WCC is currently taking to address climate change;
- look at actions being undertaken by other councils which WCC could be taking to address climate change;
- present this information to councillors with a request that they declare a Climate Emergency and take appropriate action;
- publicise any response/s received; and
- if necessary, consider supporting candidates at the next council election who accept that there is a Climate Emergency and are prepared to take appropriate action.
A WEPA Climate Emergency Committee has been established to work together on the above actions. If you feel like contributing further to this work please message Meredith Foley at firstname.lastname@example.org